Wednesday 4 March 2015

First Aid Cabinet (Part 1)

In my last post First Aid in the Woodshop I explained already the reason for building this piece of workshop furniture.
After a design and drawing phase I have now started the project.


Rough Cutting 

A few boards of glued wood I've got always on hand in my shop. Mostly spruce or pine. 
These are not the finest boards, but they are quite useful to quickly start a project.
I grabbed one and marked out the needed pieces.
Two sides, a top and bottom and a shelf as top of the drawer.
Saw bench

A saw bench is a helpful device for rough cutting the board.
A few quick cross and rip cuts and we are done.

Dimensioning

As the boards are more or less "ready to use", there won't be any effort in roughing out the boards. Only a face side has to be established. A few quick shavings with a #5 will do the job just perfect.
After this, the boards will get a reference edge.
Boards with reference face and edge

Scribing the width
Now I will scribe a line for planing the second edge and the boards to width.
Because it's only a few millimeters, it doesn't make sense to do a rip cut with a saw.


Edge preparation

The low angle jack and a #4 smoother will do the job of jointing the second edge.

 
The next step is to mark out the lines for thickness. 
Grab a marking gauge and scribe a line around the boards against you reference face.

Marking the final thickness

When the final thickness is marked, the thickness planing can start.
I first plane the outside edges to an angle. Near to the scribe line. 
Hope the picture makes clear what I mean.
With doing this I'm aiming for two goals. Avoiding tear out if I would plane across the grain and I have a depth mark. So I know what I'm shooting for.

Bevel the boards
Now set my low angle jack to a heavy cut and make a few thick shavings in the middle of the board. Until I'm down to the angles. 

Thickness planing with low angle jack

From this point on I'm using the smoother to do the final dimensioning until I reach the feather edges.
Quick check with a straight edge. No hollows or bumps? Then I call it done. 

Boards at final thickness


Next time

The main boards for the case are dimensioned now.
Only the final lengths are missing. This will be part of the next report from the Blue Spruce Woodshop.

Next time I'll report about the case construction. Making rabbets, grooves, dowel joints.

Stay tuned.

Stefan

P.S. Any comments? Questions? Remarks? Language issues :-) ?
Let me know and leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment