Wednesday 2 December 2015

Workshop Insights

Actually I'm working in parallel to my woodworking project on my bench build.
Just want to give a short update.

Additionally I think it's time for some workshop insights.





The Mid-Century Table project is in the very final stage now - finishing. Time to switch to another project. I will spend my rare time with some seating constructions pretty soon. But before I will do that I have to build my new bench and to renovate my tiny workshop.


Finishing the table

The Workbench Build


A few weeks ago I've already reported about the base cases.
In the meantime I've build the frames for the outer side panels.

Side panel frames


The construction follows a simple frame and panel approach.
Four stiles and rails had to be made. Grooves all along the length of all parts had to be established and  tenons had to be made.
I will glue these frames on the outer side panels of the workbench construction to give it a nicer look.

Frame in front of the side panel

For the time being the stiles are too long and the complete frame has a slight overhang in relation to the side panels. I will fit the frame after it was glued to the panels.

Stiles too long and frame a bit proud

The stiles will be cut to length after I have inserted the fillings. 
Fillings is a good keyword. I have planned to do some simple and plain plywood fillings. But it seemed a bit too simple to me. So I developed the idea of doing a filling with tongue and groove boards.
That said I found a fitting piece in my scrap box and started to do the first groove on the top edge of the board.


Making a groove at the top edge

Next step was to scribe deep lines to layout the tongues.

Scribe lines for the tongue

I scribed that line all around the other three edges. That done I've started to plane the tongues with my rebate plane.


Planing tongues

Scribed the lines in advance means that I didn't have to use the nicker of the plane, which I didn't like.
It was a few minutes job to establish a tongue all around the board. 
Inserting the first board into the frame showed immediately that it will look a bit boring. So I have decided to make some decorations.

Making decorations

I've used my Veritas Beading Tool for this task. It was a birthday gift to my last birthday and honestly I hadn't a opportunity to bring it seriously to task until now.
Unfortunately I only have got a point blade, so I have used it to scratch a fine line.


The "bead"

After I have reached the final depth, I have rounded over the edges with sandpaper. In result I've got something similar to a bead.
But it makes it look more interesting as I find.

First filling board
Now then, I think I will go that way. It looks much better as simple plywood, or? What do you think? Or will it be overdone?
To do it that way I have to go to the DIY store to buy some lumber. A bit more time to think about it.


Workshop Insights


The design of the side panels will follow my design principals of my workshop.
What does that mean? At the beginning of my woodworking journey I have built some workshop cabinets.
They are made out of plywood with a pine edge banding. The doors are frame and panel constructions out of pine and pine ply. And I have selected pigeon blue as my workshop color.

Tool cabinet door



...and inside the cabinet

You will find that color on my little tool chest again.
The tool chest is following pretty much the design principals of an ATC. It's just a smaller scale.


My small tool chest

I'm only storing things like chisels, hammer, measuring tools, spokeshaves, and so in it. So this size is perfect for my shop.

...and the inside


My workshop is not big enough for doing a shop tour. I hope you will find these part information somehow interesting.

What's Next?


I have to clear the deck now. Additionally I have to clear the cabinets below my deck and honestly I'm afraid about this step. A lot of stuff will see the light again. If I'm honest with, then I don't need most of the stuff any longer. But I can't part with it. Maybe I will need it one day again.
My intent is a minimalist approach, so I will sort out the stuff I haven't used for a while.

Stay tuned!
Stefan


2 comments:

  1. Nice work Stefan, I always find most interesting, "looking into" someone else workshop, you never know what you gonna find useful...

    You could easily make new scratch profiles in various pieces of steel from a large bandsaw blade to a scraper etc. Any suitable piece of flat steel, armed only with a file.
    Once you cut your profile, just hone both flat side to create a sharp arris, then maintain that "edge" by simply touching up the flat sides.

    Bob, glad to be back home with Heather and Rudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      thanks for your advise. I will give it a try. There are some blanks coming with the beading tool. So I've only to grab the file and go ahead.

      Cheers,
      Stefan

      Delete