Monday 13 April 2015

Time Flies

Please tell me it's not Monday again already.

I've got so many ideas and projects in my mind that the weekends are much too short.
The last weekend started promising on Friday with pretty good weather conditions. So some activities were planned (of course they weren't called woodworking).



Flea Market


Good weather on a Saturday morning is the ideal prerequisite for a flea market visit.
My wife proposed this on Saturday morning and I thought why not. Make the best out of it.
Maybe I will be lucky.
I'm searching since a while for a hand grinder and some molding planes.

To anticipate, I was not. Not in that sense.

But I found some other bargains. Here we go.


Hand Drill


I found this Flott hand drill. Flott is a German tool manufacturing company. They were founded in 1854 and had developed and manufactured high quality tools for the German market. 
Flott made hand tools like hand drills, braces, hand grinders etc. in the past.
Today they are producing electrical drill, grinding and sawing machinery.
It is always worth the effort to have a look for it, if you are searching for a good hand tool.

We were nearly finished with our walk at the flea market as I recognized something out of the corner of my eye in a good filled box.
A bit of digging and I pulled out this hand drill. Not the very best condition. Dirty, a bit of rust, and a tight hand crank.
But all parts are there and seemed to be original. And most of the parts can be dismantled.


Flott Hand Drill

In the picture you can see it right from the flea market.
As already mentioned, the Flott hand drills can be dismantled. The only thing I don't know is, if the cogs can be dismounted. And if yes, how? 
If someone has got experiences with this or an idea, then please let me know.


Hand Drill dismantled

Brace


But not enough. In the same box I hand a second finding.
Actually this brace.
My guess is that this brace is made by Flott too. But until now I can't find a hint regarding the manufacturer.
The condition of the brace is not bad at all. It is rusty but everything else is working fine. The head grip turns ok and the chuck seems to work and the insert is not broken.


Brace

 

Overhaul


I think I have to invest some of the rare time into the overhaul. But it is worth the effort.
The hand drill is something I really like and maybe I will get rid of one of my Schöder drills.
The brace is nice because it has got a two-jaw chuck. I assume that it will hold round bits better than a four-jaw chuck.

Clock


And as chance would have it, at the last stall on the market a nice lady wanted to sell this clock.
It is a mid 60ies mantlepiece clock which was manufactured under the label of Konnexa.


Konnexa Mantlepiece Clock

We were not really searching for one, but thought it would be a nice decoration object for our living room.
What can I say? We asked for the price and we were so surprised by the answer (very low) that we couldn't say no.
At home I wound up the clock and it is working just fine. The time is correct and the chiming mechanism is working nicely (even at night).
It will need some polishing at the brass parts and the case will need a refreshing rubbing with some furniture polish. Than it's already done.

Yes, that is not really a woodworking issue. But it is one of those things which all of the sudden will need some of your time.

Some Many Projects, So Little Time


I wrote this post because I recognized on Sunday afternoon that the weekend was almost ended and the never ending lists of projects gets longer and longer.


  • Occasional Table
  • Shaker Workbench
  • Garden Lantern
  • Saw Till
  • Moulding Plane
  • Saw Vise
  • Gentleman's Valet
  • Tool Overhauling
  • Packaging Box
  • Workshop Makeover
  • Blogging
  • Wardrobe

How are you dealing around with this? How do you prioritize what will be your next project?
I feel a little bit lost at the moment. I've got so many idaes and so little time.

All that said, my next project is defined. It will be an occasional table and the first report I'll post next Wednesday.

So, stay tuned and let me read your thoughts.

Stefan 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stefan, nice finds! I love these kinds of tools. I found out the hard way that if your egg beater drill is working, don't take it apart further. See if it helps to squirt some oil on the gears near the openings and see if it will go in when you turn it. If you have to take it apart, it probably is held in with some pins that you can remove with a punch. If there are bearings in there, don't lose them! (DAMHIKT!) Just repack with grease and get it back together. You should be able to find more info on the rehab on Wiktor Kuc's site.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      thanks for your advice. I guess I won't dismantle it any further a bit of grease and oil and I'm sure it will work fine. I had thought about repainting for a moment.
      But I think that's to much effort.

      Delete
  2. I have a Flot hand drill which my father bought new around 1960. It is not the same model. There is only a cog on the work side. It is fixed wit a pin. The pin seems to be in the form of a small tube split along its length.
    I don't think the bearing is a ball bearing.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sylvian,
      thanks for your answer. I believe you are right about the pin. But I'm unsure if I will get it out, if I be able to get it in again.

      Cheers,
      Stefan

      Delete